Fresenius Medical Care North America’s Renal Therapies Group has a new way to quickly change a flow-compromised dialysis filter without replacing the entire cartridge.
The dialysis provider and equipment manufacturer said today that its new Speedswap system is designed to address the common clogging or clotting of the dialysis circuit in continuous kidney replacement therapy (CKRT) in critical care settings. Speedswap is meant to shorten the time needed to change dialysis filters, reducing therapy downtime, easing nurse workloads and lowering treatment costs.
“This introduction of Speedswap aims to both improve the quality of dialysis treatment in the critical care setting and make our technology even easier to use by the care team,” Renal Therapies Group President Joe Turk said in a news release. “This product is another example of how we are always working to introduce innovations that improve our NxStage System One and ensure it remains the first and best choice of all hospitals for continuous therapy.”
The system includes two products for the NxStage System One with NxView: Cartridge Express with Speedswap and the Speedswap Express Kit.
Fresenius said the system’s features include:
- Shipping connectors designed to maintain the sterility and integrity of valves during storage and shipping.
- Valves to disconnect the pre-attached, detachable filter are designed to stop the flow of fluid when disconnected and allow flow when connected.
- A line restrictor designed to allow for pressure adjustment within the venous and arterial lines, as well as to allow connections to alternate sources of access.
- The Safe2 Rotator Connector features a spin-lock designed to prevent accidental disconnect and improve handling for greater flexibility and durability.
- Pressure Oscillating Diaphragm (POD) Technology eliminates the blood-air interface and may reduce the risk of filter clotting and related therapy interruptions.
- Needleless valves designed to minimize the occurrence of air in the circuit.
The Speedswap cartridge can only be used with NxView Software 3.1 or higher, System One Cycler Software 4.14 or higher and NxStage System One User Guide NC4921 Rev. J or higher.
Fresenius Medical Care’s health care product business is the 28th-largest company in the global medical device industry, according to our 2021 Medtech Big 100 ranking.
With more than $4.4 billion in revenue in its most recent year, Fresenius Medical Care may move up or down the list when we release our 2022 rankings in the coming weeks. Be among the first to see those new rankings by signing up for our free email newsletters.